Monday, January 28, 2008

17 weeks

Today we are officially 17 weeks along. It's still surreal to me that it's happening. I haven't felt the baby move (well not for sure). Sometimes I think I feel him/her move but I really don't know if it's me just trying to feel something or the real deal. I can't wait until I actually feel the baby moving around for real!

I'm still having some nausea at night and dinner is really hard for me to eat. I thought it was just chicken that was making me sick but it seems like anything dinner related makes my stomach turn. I've been trying a few morning sickness tricks to reduce the nausea but haven't found anything that really works yet. Thanks Jessie for sending me the list of things to try. At least I'm being proactive about it.

Saturday I woke up with a charlie horse in my leg. Bob rubbed it out for me but even today it still hurts. I'm also waking up during the night with leg cramps. Learning all these common pregancy issues have been interesting to me. No one tells you about this sort of stuff so it's all new.

My next doctor appointment is on Wednesday and I'm always a nervous wreck going to the appointments. I just want everything to be okay and I'm so worried that in the four weeks since our last appointment something has happened. Bob's not going to the appointment with me. We both agreeded that it wasn't nesseary and he didn't need to take the time off work just to go to a 15 minute appointment to get my urine tested and my belly measured. He will definilty be there at the next appointment, because we should be finding out what we are having! I think once we know that it will all be so much more real for me. We'll be able to refer to the baby as a he or a she and start thinking of names.

As I have been doing the last few weeks here is what the websites are saying about this week:
Your baby weighs 5 ounces now (about as much as a turnip), and he's around 5 inches long. He can move his joints, and his skeleton — until now rubbery cartilage — is starting to harden to bone. His sense of hearing is also developing. The umbilical cord, his lifeline to the placenta, is growing stronger and thicker.

And a picture:

3 comments:

  1. It is funny to experience all the little things that nobody talks about. I can't believe you're so far along!

    I got really bad charlie horses and I think it was because I wasn't getting enough calcium. So I took calcium supplements and they went away.

    Also, I took ginger supplements for my morning sickness and it worked like a charm. You can find them at any vitamin store, they just come in little caplets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. if you can stomach BANANA'S. They will help with cramping. I had a hard time taking any more pills than I needed. Potassiom [like Nanner's] should help!
    FYI. with my BOY... NONE of that CRAP I sent you worked! Ask the Dr. about taking Vitamin B6 and Folic Acid and stopping your pre.natals! It is a VERY COMMON thing that they suggest... So talk to them about it!
    Already saying some prayers for you tomorrow. I hate that NERVOUS feeling! HATE IT! Hugs... from IOWA!

    ReplyDelete