Thursday, November 5, 2009

Mmm... food

I love finding new recipes to try out on my family. It has become very rare for me to actually look through my cookbooks to find recipes. I often frequent kraftfoods.com and allrecipes.com to find new recipes. I love these sites for many reasons.


Kraft Foods site:
  • I love the simplicty of the site. They always say name brand for certain foods (I mean it is kraft foods website -- but I ALWAYS substatute for the cheap brand).
  • I love how easy the recipes usually are.. and they have sections for fast recipes and holiday recipes!
  • I like to read the reviews to see if the recipe is even worth trying (and sometimes getting tips before I make it)
All Recipes:
  • I love how many recipes there are to choose from. I can always find a recipe that will fit what I want to make. Sometimes I take a few things from each recipe and make it my own.
  • I love that you can change the serving size and it will adjust the ingredients, that way if I'm fixing dinner for just Bob and I; I don't waste a ton of food or have to split the recipe myself.
  • I also love all the reviewes


For the past few months I have been part of a dinner co-op with some people in my neighborhood. Let me tell you; I love being a part of this group! Wednesdays are usually pretty stressful for me because that's the day I have to cook, but it's so worth it! There are 4 families (about the same size) in the group and each of us cook Monday - Thursday. It's been fun planning the meals for the days I have to cook and fun getting meals that I have never tried. I'll admit there have been a few days we have gotten food that we weren't too sure about or had something in it that we wouldn't eat (manily Bob -- he hates tomatoes). But we still try everything that we've recieved. And it's been great! Hopefully the families that I cook for don't mind that they are now becoming my guinea pigs (and hopefully they have been satisfied with the meals I've cooked).

The point of this post...
When I find a recipe that I especially like I'm going to try to post it on this website. It will be a recipe that we've tried and we liked. Like I said I find a lot of recipes online so I'll print the page and either it will get ruined while cooking or lost/thrown away in cleanup. So by posting it on this blog we document the foods that we've tried and liked as well as keeping it in a place that I hopefully won't loose.


So to begin the recipe portion of this blog I present you with yesterday's dinner


Sweet and Sour Meatball Skewers
Rice-a-roni
and corn


The recipe for the sweet and sour meatball skewers was found on http://www.kraftfoods.com/ as well as the picture.


Sweet and Sour Meatball Skewers





Ingredients
32 frozen fully cooked 1-inch meatballs (1 lb.), thawed
1 red pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
1 green pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
1/4 cup apricot jam
1/4 cup KRAFT Original Barbecue Sauce

I added canned pineapple for a splash of color and taste... yummy!


Directions

HEAT grill to medium-high heat. Thread meatballs and peppers alternately onto 8 skewers.

MICROWAVE jam in small microwaveable bowl on HIGH 15 sec. Stir in barbecue sauce; brush half onto kabobs.

GRILL 8 to 10 min. or until meatballs are heated through, turning occasionally and brushing with remaining jam mixture the last 2 min.


This recipe makes 4 servings (2 skewers a serving)

No comments:

Post a Comment