Thursday, March 18, 2010

2 Week update

On Tuesday Gavin turned two weeks old! My how time flys! Of course our first week was nearly spent in the hospital it felt like; so really he's only been home just over a week. But it sure has been fun. We had his two week appointment on Tuesday.

Birth Weight: 7lb 11oz
Home from Hospital weight: 7lbs
2 week appointment weight: 8lb 6oz!!!

He's a growing boy!

I've officially given up on breastfeeding though. The first week in the hospital the nurses all told me how great Gavin was latching on. But by the time I got home from the hospital I had (TMI ahead) very sore nipples and scabs on them from improper latching on. After one breastfeeding season when I stopped feeding Gavin and one of the scabs was gone only to have the poor guy throw up what looked like dried blood and scabs. I started pumping to help heal. After about 5 days of pumping I finally felt like I could start breastfeeding again. I called and made a appointment with a lactation specialtist and tried again. Of course Gavin latched on perfectly the first time for me. But he favored one breast over the other. The other one he wanted nothing to do with! Later that day I tried to breastfeed on my own with no success! I tried a few times after that but I had anxiety every time I had to feed the poor little guy and it just wasn't fun for either of us. One or both of us ended the session in tears! Breastfeeding shouldn't be a team sport, so the fact that I can't do it on my own only added to me quitting. I feel like a failure as a mother not to be able to give him that "good start". But pumping has also proved to be a challenge. I'm exhausted most of the time, so trying to motivate myself to either get up 1/2 hour before Gavin or stay up 1/2 hour or more after he goes to sleep is hard. Plus with Zack and Gavin I don't have much time to pump. I also wish that I was able to breastfeed for the money aspect of it! Formula is expensive, and I do not look forward to a year of buying formula... ugh! Oh well I have to do what I have to do. I just hate that I feel like I've failed at something else with Gavin (I wasn't able to do the VBAC as planned either).

Here are a few pictures that I took of Gavin this week:

2 Week Picture (with teddy bear for size comparison)

Brothers on St. Patrick Day. I didn't have time to get Zack a St. Patties Tshirt (bad mommy)

I absolutely love this picture it's like he's looking at something

4 comments:

  1. Jen,
    Don't stress so much :) Breastfeeding is not for everyone and it sounds like you really tried. You are a good mom cause you tried. And you have two little ones now, not just one. There are some things you just don't have control over ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jenn don't worry about it, you shouldn't feel like you failed at anything, he is here and healthy. The whole breastfeeding thing is overrated anyway!! I remember seeing Abs in the nursery with this huge sign on her crib thing that said "formula baby" I felt awful, but 10 years later and you would never know I didn't breastfeed her. A happy mom will do alot more for him then breastfeeding! Keep smiling and loving those boys and you have succeeded!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your a good mommy! and non of my kids got st patty's day t-shirts, they'll live! :) sorry about the bf experinance! it's ok! he'll love you anyway! HUGS though, that's so rough! hope things get smoother for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh jenn your a great mom! and your boys love you! don't worry about what everyone thinks, breastfeeding isn't for everyone...
    but gavin is adorable! congrats!

    ReplyDelete